When Buying a Home in Lethbridge
When you are buying a home in Lethbridge, here is an important checklist of items required by the city.
- You can prepay your property taxes to receive a discount and avoid late charges by registering in the city’s Tax Instalment Prepayment Plan (TIPP).
- If you are selling a home and then buying another make sure to change your tax account number or roll number with your financial institution to ensure all payments are applied to the correct address.
- If you are purchasing a home, make sure your lawyer has contacted the Assessment and Tax department to get an estimate of what the property taxes will be.
- If your mortgage payment includes property taxes make sure your mortgage company is collecting enough to pay all taxes and other supplementary bills.
- If you are purchasing a manufactured home, bring the bill of sale to the city’s tax department so they can update all records, change ownership information and verify the serial number of the home.
- Make sure to update your mailing address through the Alberta Land Titles Office.
- Apply for sewer, water, garbage and electricity.
- If you require a garbage bin, request one through the Public Operations Department. Your utility account number will be required.
- Update your mailing address for all utility accounts with the City of Lethbridge.
- As a buyer, it is recommended that you get a Real Property Report (RPR) as well as a Letter of Compliance that indicates that the house and all of its structures meet the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.
- Before buying your home, make sure to contact Development Services to ensure that any deck, shed or garage alterations or renovations have been done safely and with the CORRECT PERMITS to avoid future complications.
Other Recommended Actions
- Be sure to apply for Natural Gas services with one of the private sector providers.
- If you are new to the city and own a dog, make sure to purchase a dog license.
- Arrange for Property Insurance.
- Update all personal information on identification.
- Set up mail forwarding and register your new address with Canada Post.
Who To Call In Lethbridge
Make sure to check all of these important items when purchasing your Lethbridge home, and let me help you with any other details or questions that may arise.
I have lived in Lethbridge for 45 years. I make a very good guide. I’ve been involved in real estate for many years and have helped many buyers just like you find the home they’ve been looking for. I would love to show you some of the exciting, affordable properties that Lethbridge has to offer. Call or text me anytime at 403-308-6613. I’m Clark Paul.